Thursday, June 28, 2012

Postgraduate studies and life questions

I've been thinking of pursuing a postgraduate education for quite sometime now. But am divided on the whys and hows (add the 'what for'). Or another way to frame it is: what to do with it now that am past my calendar years and all my experiences, outlook, ambitions, and life philosophies of 5,000 days ago have been undergoing tremendous changes each passing moment of my life.

Of course my perspective in life is different than when I was starting my studies. When I was a six-year-old kid, all I want is to finish the race to my elementary years so I can enter high school. The same thought remained with me when I was getting my secondary education - to get out of school and enter college. Although I have silently projected that I will become an astronaut when I grew up, but that dream faded through the years (I realized astronauts are math and science wizards).

What is your dream job? But even after completing college, I am short for answers for this compulsory question. I really can't mine an answer. Is it possible to not have any, even one at least. How about the answer to what is the meaning of being a successful person? That without the drive or ambition one is doomed?

It is not that am becoming blithe of education or studying or of life in general. I am just looking for some convincing reasons about my enrolling in graduate schools and the opportunities I can earn from all the efforts.

Lately I realized that it is one's having a purpose not ambition that should be regarded as more important. To at least have a purpose, an intention how one wishes to spend his life with or without a degree, should be a barometer of one's success. And since I also find spiritual guides vital for my decision-making, I checked what the most educational blogger says about getting an education.

And with renewed insights, I believe some of my life questions will find their answers naturally in due time. I hope for what it's worth, and with God's help, I will soon learn several more answers to my questions.

But for now, I think a postgraduate studies will bring me a new universe to explore where I can meet new friends, have same-minded people to share knowledge with, learn new and deeper meanings of things, work together for a pet project that can be beneficial to other people, and experience school again. It's a thought with infinite possibilities. But making some plans turn into a reality is another story, because sometimes, we must accept that some things happen for a reason.

Fin.

5 comments:

  1. I'm a believer of lifelong learning by all means and being back to school forces one person to study. Do this with a purpose - the best part of studying is imparting what you learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Paolo Lising, that is a very nice advice, to share what you learn. I am also thinking that somehow that should be considered. The financial rewards to follow after graduation should be secondary and sharing is also loving. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to get a postgraduate diploma in my name. I want to see new faces and call new names, and have an intelligent talk about profession and life. Simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. more than improving market value,postgrad studies may help someone who'd want to create a niche in the world, substantially. and then sharing what you've learned

    ReplyDelete